Thursday, July 17, 2014

TUTORIAL: A Skirt Pattern



Hi internet!

Today's pattern tutorial is about skirts, all over the internet there you can find Circle Skirts tutorials, several techniques and styles. They are a big trend lately, BUT they take a lot of fabric and depending on the type of project or material you are working with, they are too much.
I still wanna do a special tutorial on them, because not all tutorials are the same, mostly not so easy and clear. But this is history for another post.

I could hardly find any other type of skirt tutorials specially with an easy approach. The ones I found were from very technical websites or YouTube channels.
Eventually, I found this very simple method I will be showing you guys today.

Keep in mind that there are several types of skirts and there is a fancy way to draw those patterns, but I don't use, and don't know it. 
So far this method worked for all my projects

>>Click on read more for the full tutorial:

NOTE: I will be making a scale pattern for this tutorial, I believe is easy to understand in a smaller version.
Imagine we are making a skirt for a Barbie. :)


The materials you will need are:

Hi nintje :)
- A big piece of paper 
I will only use a normal sheet of paper, but you should get something big enough for your real version.
- Measuring tape
You will need to measure yourself
- A ruler
-Sticky Tape
- Pen/pencil
Pick something like a sharpie to stand out
-Scissors

Step 1: Measure around your waist (red), or wherever you want your skirt to sit. Also measure how long you want your skirt to be (blue).
My example will be 16 cm waist and 10 cm skirt length
The ladies above show two measurements for different skirts 
Step 2: Draw a rectangle on your paper measuring: Your waist divided by 4 and your skirt length total
Barbie's pattern will be: (16/4= 4). So: 4 cm x 10 cm


Step 3: Draw lines all over your pattern. Around 3 to 5 lines.
Parallel to your skirt length 

Step 4: Cut your rectangle out and cut your lines just leaving a little bit uncut

Step 5: In a new sheet of paper spread the strips evenly keeping one of them straight and secure it with tape
You will see your skirt taking form. Spread it as wide you want your skirt to be, keep in mind it's cut on fold.

Step 6: Even out the bottom, add seam allowance and a marking for the fold.
I gave some random millimeters but I recommend for a real one 1.5 cm or 2 cm

Step 7: Cut it out. Here you can decide on removing the pink part or just leave it like I did.

When cutting it into the fabric you will need to cut the pattern 2 times on fold, Front and back pieces.
Also, as spreader the strips of paper are the fuller your skirt will be, imagine that your fabric piece will be 2x the size of your pattern.

If you have any questions leave it in the comments below. 
I hope soon we will make a dress together so I can show you guys a real skirt make out of this pattern making technique 

Follow me on Instagram
I see you soon

Tchau, tchau!

No comments:

Post a Comment